When children are young, they are extremely sensitive to the world around them. Every aspect of the environment in which they are brought up will likely have a significant impact on the people they grow up to be. For this reason, few things in life are more important than choosing a child care option you can have total confidence in.
What Factors Should You Consider?
Selecting a proper child care option is a very multi-faceted decision, but there are several factors that should head up the pack in terms of significance.
- Individual Attention – How comfortable is your child with independence? If he requires constant care, in-home care may be the way to go. It is usually better for a child’s personal development, however, if greater independence is stressed. If it is possible for your child to handle a little independence, then, day care centers are generally preferable.
- Adult-to-Child Ratio – Although it may seem to conflict with the above point, available guidance and encouragement is different from someone watching over your child at all times. More adults available to guide your child will improve self-confidence and behoove development.
- Group Size – Even if it has the same adult-to-child ratio, a large group (think 30 children and 6 adults as opposed to 10 children and 2 adults) is less like a family than a small group. Large groups will be more chaotic and it is easier for your child to get lost in the crowd.
- Care Givers’ Experience and Accreditation – Even if a centre has a good child care program, the care givers have to have a good idea of what they’re doing in order for your child to truly experience the benefits of the program. It is therefore extremely important to learn how much experience the staff has with looking after children and making sure they have a proven track record. You should also make sure they have reputable certifications and training to back up that experience.
- Location and Atmosphere – It may seem like a superficial consideration, but the quality of the neighborhood the day care is in and the proximity to your home will really play a role in development.
- Communication – Caregivers’ communication with both you and your child is very important, as both will enable more heavily personalized care for your child.
Choosing an appropriate child care facility can be a daunting task, so many parents in or around Richmond Hill, Aurora, Maple, and King’s City choose to forego the work of evaluating many options and instead go with the Oaktree Childcare Centre, where they know their child is in good hands.