Finding a daycare in Richmond Hill for your child can be a nerve wracking experience. There are so many choices and certainly, they can’t all be of the same quality. Beyond that there are other considerations such as whether the daycare is properly licensed, whether it’s in a private home or a commercial facility and where the daycare is located. So exactly how do you winnow down your choices to the one facility that will allow you to sleep easy at night and not have you up tossing and turning? Below we’ll look at 5 criteria a parent should consider when comparing daycare options.
How to Select the Right Daycare in Richmond Hill
By filtering prospective facilities through these 5 criteria you’ll narrow your choices to ones that dovetail with your concerns. Then it will just be a matter of picking the best of the best.
- Who is Providing the Care? – If you have your eye on a potential facility do your homework regarding those who own and operate it. Ask about their childcare qualifications. That is, do they have any special certificates or degrees? Do they have a first aid certificate? Are the people who come in contact with the kids subjected to a background check? What are their qualifications?
- What’s the Environment Like? – If you only ever see the prospective facility during a scheduled appointment you may only be seeing what they want you to see. So after you’ve had a sit down with the principles at the daycare drop by again. Only this time unannounced, and see if things are any different. Also, ask if they let delivery people into the area where the children are.
- What Activities do They Offer? – Ask about the daily activities. How structured is the day? How much is free time and how much time is spent in organized activities? What type of resources (colouring books, paint, clay etc) do they have? Do they get fresh air? If so what is the outside play area like? Is it well-protected? Has the environment been kid-proofed?
- Is Their Approach in Conflict With Your Ideas about Parenting? – What is their disciplinary policy? How do they deal with tension between kids? How much freedom do they allow kids to ‘be themselves’? You don’t want the policies of the daycare to be in direct conflict with your principles. This could create confusion in your child and a disconnect between them and you.
- Go with Your Gut – At the end of the day if something just doesn’t feel right it’s not worth the risk. Trust your own instincts even if you are unable to verbalise exactly what it is that is making you uneasy.
When it comes to searching for the right daycare in Richmond Hill make sure you are thorough when it comes to applying the above criteria. In doing so you should be able to winnow your choices down to a select few, any of which will likely be a fine choice.