A childcare centre may be brand new with all the latest and safest playground items, top quality dietary offerings and a director you’d like to have as a best friend but if they’re understaffed your child will be poorly served. Maintaining the proper staff to child ratio is a vital part of ensuring the children are never out of sight of a responsible adult and never feel like they’re lost in the crowd. Below we’re going to take a closer look at why it’s so important to maintain the proper staff/child ratios in childcare centres.
Childcare Aurora and Staffing Levels
The question of what is a safe, effective child to staff ratio for a daycare centre is an important one that should never be overlooked or brushed aside. While none are etched in stone there are some generally agreed upon ratios most quality daycare facilities will use as guidance. They are:
- 1:10 ratio (staff to children) for children aged 4 and 5.
- 1:9 ratio for 3 year olds
- 1:4 ratio for 2 year olds
As you can see the younger the children the higher the staffing levels for obvious reasons. As we said these ratios are general guidelines and can be influenced one way or the other by things like the facility’s location, how much time the kids spend outdoors, the type and frequency of organized activities and more.
Why are Such Ratios Important?
Maintaining a reasonable child to staff ratio in a childcare centre is important for a number of reasons:
- Safety – Safety is one of the primary reasons to maintain a proper staff to child ratio for childcare in Aurora. Kids need a lot of attention, especially when they’re outside the home and away from the influence of their parents. Staff members also need to be able to respond effectively in an emergency.
- Building relationships – Children always get more out of a situation if they get enough attention and are able to build a strong bond with staff members. Limiting the number of children under the supervision of a single adult provides opportunities for those bonds to form.
- Accountability – The 600 pound gorilla in the room in any discussion of a daycare setting is the possibility of abuse. Essentially, the more adults present the better. Because if a question of possibly inappropriate behaviour should arise the issue is much more effectively handled if there are other adults to vouch for the word of the staff member or child.
When do Such Ratios Apply?
It’s incumbent upon the childcare facility to maintain proper staffing levels at all times. It becomes particularly important when a staff member is out sick. If small group sizes are regularly maintained it won’t be such a stretch to cover for a missing staff member.
Oaktree Childcare Centre provides the highest quality childcare in Aurora and the surrounding area. To learn more about our facility, our staff and our guiding principles or to make an appointment give us a ring on 289-234-2700