Oaktree Childcare Centre was built upon various educational philosophies and we incorporated Reggio Project Approach within our distinctive system. After nearly 25 years of working with children, we know that children are innately inquisitive and drawn to learning new things. This is why we value each child’s individuality and treat children uniquely according to their needs, interests and rate of social, cognitive and physical development.
In line with the Reggio Project philosophy, we provide children in the York Region district with a friendly, loving and nurturing environment focused on comfort, cooperation and education. This means each child has the freedom to choose the activities that they feel comfortable with and educators encourage a hands-on approach to learning. We believe education should evoke communication and we value listening and respecting children’s needs and interests.
In adopting the Reggio Project approach in our childcare, we have developed a method for inspiring learning amongst children that emphasizes allowing each child to take charge of their education and discover the joy of learning through exploration, interaction and independence. When children have the freedom to choose what activities they take part in, they are more engaged and excited about learning new things.
Enriching children in the York Region area using the Reggio Project approach
At Oaktree Childcare Centre, we seek to help children develop socially, cognitively and physically with childcare that is flexible, innovative and fun for children. Enrichment activities include:
- Language program that introduces multilingual vocabulary (alphabet, numbers, greetings etc.) through games, stories and songs.
- Hands-on music program to help children express themselves through music and movement.
- Yoga and Pilates to engage children and babies’ bodies and minds, help them build strength, flexibility and balance.
- Drama program to encourage children to express their emotions, develop self-confidence, appreciate the arts and expand their knowledge on how to communicate.
- Everyday exercises to help children build self-control, grow motor skills, be polite members of society and gain conflict resolution skills.
- Computer and technology program to strengthen children’s ability to work with modern technology. Our computer and technology program is integrated with art, science, math, multilingual games, reading, motor development and more.
By using the Reggio Project approach in the fundamental building blocks for our childcare, we prepare children in the York Region area for future schooling. We believe that the early years of a child’s life are the stepping-stones that lead to a successful, happy and healthy life and each one of the moments of childhood matter. That’s why we carefully tailor our curriculum to foster growth and work to cultivate curiosity, creativity and intelligence among our children.
We count our success in the smiles on our children’s faces and have witnessed countless children in the York Region area move on to become active, intelligent, creative and above all, happy, students. Through tutoring, early assessment and intervention services, extracurricular activities and ensuring three teachers are assigned to each classroom, we make sure each child has the resources and support necessary to succeed.